Prior to joining UCF in 2001, Dr. Wu was with Hughes Research Laboratories (Malibu, California) where the first laser was invented. He received his Ph.D. in Laser Physics from University of Southern California (Los Angeles), and BS in Physics from National Taiwan University (Taipei). His research at UCF focuses in five areas: 1. Advanced displays, including quantum dots and sunlight readable LCDs and OLEDs, 2. Wearable displays including augmented reality and virtual reality, 3. Adaptive lenses, 4. Spatial light modulators, and 5. New photonic materials.
Dr. Wu is a Charter Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors (2012) and one of the first six inductees of the Florida Inventors Hall of Fame (2014). He is the recipient of 2014 OSA Esther Hoffman Beller Medal, 2011 SID Slottow-Owaki Prize, 2010 OSA Joseph Fraunhofer Award, 2008 SPIE G. G. Stokes Award and 2008 SID Jan Rajchman Prize. He is a Fellow of the IEEE, OSA, SID, and SPIE. He was the founding chief editor of the IEEE/OSA Journal of Display Technology, OSA publications council chair and board member, and presently he is SID Honors and Awards committee chair.
Dr. Wu has co-authored 7 books, over 530 journal papers, and obtained 87 US patents. Several of his patents have been implemented in display and photonic devices.
Awards & Honors
- International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE) Fellow
- IEEE Photonics Society Fellow
- Society for Information Display (SID) Fellow
- Optical Society of America (OSA) Fellow
- 2018 Two students Juan He and Guanjun Tan won SPIE education scholarships
- 2018 My student Juan He won CREOL IA Day best poster paper award
- 2018 My student Juan He won DOE distinguished poster paper award
- 2018 Excellence in Graduate Teaching Award
- 2016 Research Incentive Award (College Level)
- 2016 Excellence in Research Award
- 2016 Associate editor IEEE Photonics Journal
- 2016 Chair, SID Honors and Awards Committee
- 2015 Editorial Board, Liquid Crystals Journal
- 2014 OSA Esther Hoffman Beller Medal
- 2014 Florida Inventors Hall of Fame
- 2014 Esther Hoffman Beller Medal
- 2013 OSA Board of Directors (2013 – 2014)
- 2012 National Academy of Inventors Fellow
- 2011 SID Slottow-Owaki Prize
- 2011 Excellence in Research Award
- 2011 Research Incentive Award (RIA)
- 2010 OSA Joseph Fraunhofer Award/Robert M. Burley Prize
- 2010 Pegasus Professor
- 2008 SID Jan Rajchman Prize
- 2008 SPIE G. G. Stokes Award
- 2006 University Distinguished Researcher for 2006
- 2004 Editor-in-Chief IEEE/OSA Journal of Display Technology
- 2003 IEEE Outstanding Engineer Award
- 2000 SID Special Recognition Award
- 1997 ERSO (Taiwan) Special Achievement Award
- 1991 Hughes Annual Best Paper Award
- 1991 Hughes Team Achievement Award
- Advanced liquid crystal display materials, display devices, and device modeling.
- Electronic laser beam steering and adaptive optics using fast-response spatial light modulators.
- Adaptive liquid crystal and liquid lenses for forveated imaging and zoom lens.
- Bio-inspired tunable optical filters using cholesteric liquid crystals.