Prerequisites: EEL3123C Networks & Systems; OSE3052 Introduction to Photonics; CR: OSE4830 Imaging and Display.
The goal of this course is to provide the hands on experience on image acquisition, processing and analysis. The performance of various imaging and display systems will be studied and simulated using MatLab image processing toolbox. This course will complement the theory course on Imaging and Display OSE4830. The course consists of a sequence of seven interconnecting experiments (preceded by an introductory class on how to use MatLab tools) with a variety of imaging systems. In laboratory sessions, students will learn the practical aspects of optics experiment. The topics include: Simulation of imaging formation and processing using MatLab image processing toolbox; Measurement of the optical transfer function of an imaging system; Design and testing of a Michelson interferometer for surface profiling and wavelength measurements; Use of a microscope for analyzing pixel arrays; Use of a spectrophotometer for multispectral imaging and material identification; Measurement of the basic characteristics of liquid-crystal displays.
List of Topics:
• MatLab Image Processing tools.
• Optical Image Resolution and Contrast
• Spatial Filtering and Optical Image Processing
• Fourier Transform and Diffraction
• Michelson Interferometer
• Speckle Interferometry
• Spectroscopy and hyperspectral imaging
• Liquid crystal display
This lab will help the students in reaching the outcomes of OSE4830. In addition, the student will
• Learn how to use MatLab image processing toolbox for image formation and processing.
• Measure the optical transfer function of an optical system
• Design and test an optical interferometer for surface profiling and wavelength measurement.
• Use a spectrophotometer for color measurement and material identification.
• Learn how liquid crystal displays work
• Understand the basic characteristics of display systems and how to measure them.