Introduction to the principles and design of semiconductor optoelectronic devices including photodiodes, solar cells, light-emitting diodes, laser diodes, and CCDs. Applications include photovoltaics, displays, photodetection, and optical communications.
Credits: 3 hours
Prerequisites: EEE 3307C Electronics I, OSE 3052 Introduction to Photonics
This course is an introduction to the principles, design, and applications of optoelectronic devices. The course begins with a description of the interaction of light with semiconductor materials in a p-n junction configuration. This includes the phenomena of absorption, electroluminescence, and stimulated emission. The distinction between direct and indirect compound semiconductors materials is noted. Basic devices are then described: photodiodes, light emitting diodes (LEDs), semiconductor optical amplifiers, and laser diodes are then described. Array detectors, including complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) and charge-coupled devices (CCD) arrays, and array LEDs are then introduced. Basic specifications and applications of each of these devices are described, including solar cells, imaging with array detectors, and LED displays.
List of Topics:
- Interaction of light with semiconductor intrinsic and extrinsic, direct and indirect bandgap materials: absorption, electroluminescence, and stimulated emission.
- The p-n junction diode configuration.
- Heterojunction devices.
- Light emitting diodes (LEDs).
- Semiconductor optical amplifiers and laser diodes. Photodiodes (Avalanche and PIN)
- Photoreceiver noise (Signal-to-noise ratio and noise-equivalent power)
- Solar cells.
- Array detectors: CMOS and CCD arrays. Applications: imaging systems.
- LED arrays. Applications: LED displays.
Upon completing this course, the students will:
- State the various kinds of semiconductor materials used in optoelectronics
- Explain the mechanisms of light absorption and emission in p-n junctions
- State the most common specifications of photodiodes, LEDs, and laser diodes and their basic design
- Describe common designs of array detectors and LED arrays.
- Distinguish between LCD and LED TVs, based material learned in this course and in OSE 3052 (Introduction to Photonics)
Optoelectronics and Photonics: Principles and Practices, S. O. Kasap, Prentice Hall, 2001.
Semiconductor Optoelectronic Devices, P. Bhattacharya, 2nd Ed., Prentice Hall, 1997.
Fundamentals of Photonics, B. Saleh and M. Teich, Wiley.
Homework (20%), term paper (10%), midterm exam (30%), final exam (40%)